If your little one loves dressing up like a princess, then this is the activity for you! This princess counting crown
combines the fine motor skills, eye-hand coordination, and visual perceptual skills of a craft activity with the math concepts of counting, matching, ordering, and number recognition. Your child will love creating this crown and you will love that they are strengthening their hands and minds!
1. Develops Pincer Grasp –Opening the clothespins by squeezing the thumb and first finger together help to develop the pincer grasp which is essential for:
– Self-care tasks like snapping, zipping, buttoning
-Pre-writing skills such as pencil grasp and pre-cutting skills such as scissor grasp
-Toy and object manipulation like building blocks, turning pages, and holding onto papers
2. Develops math skills- Using numbers as learning concepts on the princess crown will help your child to recognize numbers, count, match, and order numerals
3. Develops visual perceptual skills and eye hand coordination-By having your child find the visual cue (i.e. sticker or number) and placing it on its designated spot will help to improve both visual perceptual and eye hand coordination skills.
4. Fosters creativity-Once your child has the princess crown on, let the child be creative and act like a princess in an imaginary world!
How to Construct
Cut the center circle out of a paper plate, leaving only the outside ring, large enough to fit on top of your child’s head
Paint the outer ring of the paper plate
While the paint is drying, tape or tie long pieces of ribbon onto individual clothespins
Once the paint is dry, add learning concepts onto the outside of the princess crown (i.e. numbers, shapes, colors) depending on what you want your child to learn
Place the learning concepts all towards the back section of the princess crown so the ribbon stays out of the child’s eyes.
How to Play
Once your crown is constructed, tell your child to pinch the clothespin in order to open it and then instruct them to place the clothespin on the designated spot on the princess crown. After all the clothespins are on the crown, take it off and play again!
What’s a princess crown without a dress and castle? Check out these adorable accessories from Amazon to really transform your little one into a “real princess!”
Hopefully both you and your little princess will reap some “royal” rewards after creating this crown!