Anyone with young children knows the struggle with kids who want to do ‘everything’ themselves, including putting their shoes on …. (and oftentimes, the wrong feet). Yes, it is absolutely adorable when you spot a toddler walking around with their shoes on the wrong feet, but after a few trips and falls, that cuteness quickly dwindles. Here’s the simple trick for teaching kids how to get shoes on the right feet every time!
Luckily there’s a simple trick that will make it much easier for your child to get their shoes on their right feet when doing it themselves. Try out this secret tricks to improving your child’s independence in self-dressing.
1. Put matching stickers or designs with permanent markers on the inside rim of each shoe
2. Have your child place the shoes down so that the stickers/designs are touching each other
3. Have your child stand directly behind their shoes
4. Have your child step one foot forward into the shoe directly in front of them and repeat on the other side
5. Presto! Shoes on the correct feet!
*Helpful Tip- The stickers seem to stay better on shoes that are primarily worn indoors (i.e. dress shoes, school shoes), whereas permanent marker designs work better on active, outdoor shoes (i.e. gym shoes, rain boots, athletic cleats).
You and your child will love this new tidbit of independence!